Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Risk Taker


So I finally took a huge risk in my life; I moved to California. Why? Solely because God told me too. I just recently graduated from college and praying diligently about what the next step should be and he revealed it to me in a cute, sly way. Although I would not list one of God's attributes anything near sly but you know how God moves and shows you things in places you never expected. For me it was in a movie and through a gift that I received confirmation. Huh who would of known. But here I am in California still shocked after an official week of being here. It's like I've been dropped off in a foreign land. But God is beginning to work through this time of official being out on my own with no family near, no friends, or anything near me. Right now I just have me and a cool roommate who I am getting to know and already appreciate. But as I am beginning to understand and make my way through this foreign place God is making me aware of the things that have become foreign within myself. He's gradually opening my eyes to passions I have and encouraging me to get out of my comfort zone and follow my passion. He's encouraging me to use my talents and reach out for more. I have the ability to be whoever I want to be out here. No one knows me, but I can choose to make myself known. The reality is I have to, because I can’t survive on the opposite side of the country alone. Reality is at this age in my life I can't let fear and insecurity hold me back.

After graduating from college reality seems to hit you hard and fast. It's like an emotional roller coasting where you feel so accomplished after achieving something you worked years for and then realizing you have so many years left to accomplish much more. It's like working hard to get ahead of the game and sometimes you feel as if you are right back at the end of the line. The cycle begins again for some of us; and sometimes that cycle goes a bit slower for us than the rest. But knowing this cycle or journey I am on or you are on not matter what age or stage in life we can’t sit waiting for things to happen for us. We can't let fear be our permanent shadow reminding us of what we can't and shouldn't do.

So today I am encouraged to try something new, at least try. I am encouraged to get out of myself, to get out of this shell and try. If I want to grab some canvases, paint and try to sell them what's the worst that can happen. No one buys them and I get to hold on to the beautiful things I cherish and created. I am encouraged to sing at a local coffee shop, and let my voice be heard. What’s the worst that can happen, well I can suck truthfully, that's a possibility, but the courage that it took to do something like that is valuable within itself.

Just today I heard Obama speak to the nation about education and he proceeded to say that failure in a lot of ways is our biggest motivator; it is what thrives us for success. So even if I fall once I have taken a risk it just makes it easier to do it again. Eventually I will succeed.

But on the other hand we shouldn’t take risks on everything, we have to know our battles amen. I would definitely encourage spending time in prayer for God to really inspire the gifts and talents He wants you to use. But I would also say don't make such a big deal about it and get all frantic "just do it like" Nike says. Easier said than done, right? Yeah I know. Hey just take small steps. You don't have to move across the country.

In closing I moved to California, knowing that God has something amazing for me here; knowing that I am meeting up with the woman God wants me to be. But if I want to be that I have to take risk, I have to be flexible, I have to be spontaneous, I have to ask for help, I have to get out of my comfort zone.

Take risks! Start today if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment