Saturday, September 12, 2009

Reverse Psychology: Sometimes it really works!

So I did something really dumb today, well possibly not as dumb as I would like to think. But I decided to be bold today and I applied for a position I didn't think I was qualified for or at least was afraid to apply. Prior to my lovely bold job hunt and applying hoopla I had a brief conversation with my mother. I told her the job hunt was not going as well as I would like ( that's real life for you). I was a bit hesitant to apply for ministerial jobs because I don't feel as though I am ready. My plan is to find a church and to get heavily involved serving as volunteer, youth leader, and interning under a pastor. Little baby steps is what I would prefer. But I notice with a BS in Christian Ministries there are not many jobs I can apply for and you know what I'm not even trying to be picky right now. Well just a little.

So anywho, I took a leap. There was this paper I had on my desk for a while. It's one of those tabs that you pull of a flyer. This particular flyer was for a job working at a church. Here's the ting on the little slip it just has contact info so I definitely forgot what church it was from and what position. On the back of the slip was office assistant which I wrote myself sometime ago.

Well in either case, I emailed the contact person, confident thinking I was applying for an office assistant position but not fully sure. Well minutes later I receive a email saying thank you for applying for the youth director position. Are you kidding me! The very thing I was running from is the very thing I applied for. Seriously I can see God laughing at me hysterically. All I can do is laugh to myself but in all honesty I wonder, " What is God thinking right?".

Instantly after realizing what I applied my spirit got eager and my nerves began to kick in. I thought to myself omigoodness I need to read this, I need to go over my notes from college, I need to learn this. Its sad that the thing I was running from seemed to motivate me or encourage me to do what I'm most scared to do.

So what was God thinking after my act of stupidity? Was He thinking Nashira I want you to stop being fearful of using the gifts that I called you to use. I want you stop relying on your own capabilities, because if you step out a little bit more, I will guide you the rest of the way." Some may say that coming out to Cali was a big step and it was, but it didn't seem so hard to do. But this, walking into the role of a pastor scares me the most. When I say I feel unqualified, I mean it. But God is equipping! But God is mentoring me! But God is strengthening me day by day to walk in His favor.

So here's to another day of losing myself, loosing the insecure me.

"Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."


Matthew 10:39

1 comment:

  1. That is so funny how that worked out. Did you set up an interview yet. I personally think you already for these opportunities. What's the worst that can happen? Let the employer decide if they want you for the job and I'm sure they will offer you something you are ready for. When is the interview.

    -Dee

    ReplyDelete